Green been, tomato and quinoa salad
See Detailed Nutrition Info on
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 lb. green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 1 cup toasted almond slivers
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onions, cut vertically
- 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes halves
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1-1.5 tsp salt or more to taste
- Cook quinoa per directions on your package. When finished, fluff with a fork to let out some steam and set aside.
- Put green beans in a pan with enough cold water to cover them. Bring the water to a boil and simmer until the beans are tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water before, then put them into an ice bath.
- Prepare the chickpeas.
- Slice the red onions. These steps can all be done in advance and the next steps should be done immediately before preparing, and it goes by fast.
- To finish making the salad, heat the coconut oil in a large deep skillet or wok for one minute on medium-high heat. Add the cumin, ginger, and turmeric and cook, stirring for one minute, and just as the spices begin to release fragrance. Add the quinoa, beans & salt and gently heat and stir until well mixed and warm, about 3-4 minutes.
- Toss in the almond, red onions slices and cherry tomato halves.
- Serve warm.
Adapted from http://inpursuitofmore.com